Monday 16 March 2009

Ulster Hall Open Day


It's impressive. I can certainly attest to that. I arrived a bit early on Sunday, at eleven o'clock; and the tour didn't begin till noon. However, I spent my spare time viewing the exhibition of Carey murals running along the left-hand corridor.

These paintings are about a hundred years old. They have been completely restored as well as possible by expert conservators. Though not fine works of art, they are nevertheless fascinating, depicting such scenes as the old long bridge in Belfast; Belfast harbour; the Dublin Road Turnpike; High Street in the 17th century, and so on.

The Ulster Hall itself now looks splendid itself. It has been given an impressive face-lift and the interior space has been transformed, aesthetically at least. The upstairs seating is now capable of swivelling; the colour scheme is much more subtle, with pastel blue and white shades; some intricate details have been gilded; the stairs and some other areas have been carpeted. I can't wait till my first concert again.

No comments :