Wednesday 26 January 2011

Killynether Copse


Well I've been on the go for most of the day today. After breakfast I gathered my stuff together and motored to Killynether Wood, which is very near Scrabo Tower in County Down.

Oh what a special place Killynether is. I am fond of it. Craig says that the bluebells are a sight to behold when they arrive.

There were eight of us today and we were hazel coppicing in the middle of the wood on a steep slope. I spent a lot of time cutting down gorse bushes. We lit a bonfire and burned the surplus branches on it, leaving the logs for whoever wanted them, viz. Kevin, Craig and self! I took two sackfuls of logs.

Lunch was a wholemeal pepperoni salad sandwich.

As soon as I arrived home I turned on the oven; threw in a pizza; ate it with salad; and dashed up to the sports club for the constitutional sixty lengths of the pool.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Do you know what the area of land below Killynether is called? I see on Google maps there is an area called Ballyhenry Major, does this extend all the way up to the Killynether Road? Or is there a Killynether townland? I'm trying to find out to give a title to one of my paintings - I too am fond of this area and have found it inspiring to paint.

Timothy Belmont said...

Anon, sorry, I don't know the townlands particularly well there.

Stephen said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex4VMO9dg7o

Tim, were you involved with this?

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! Indeed Stephen, sadly that wasn't my digital handiwork! I've seen it before. :-)