Wednesday 24 August 2011

Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire


I am minded to view The Duchess, which will be broadcast on BBC HD and BBC2 on Thursday evening at 9pm.

Almost precisely three years ago I viewed The Duchess, a 2008 drama film based on Amanda Foreman's biography of the 18th-century aristocrat Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire.

I said this at the time:
          The new Odeon was not, at all, busy. Despite the tickets - £6.20 -  being numbered, you could really have sat anywhere; in fact I moved to another seat when the movie started. The Duchess, which refers to Lady Georgiana Spencer who married the 5th Duke of Devonshire, was not, for me, a particularly uplifting film. 
          It was well done, the costumes, props and settings were undoubtedly sumptuous; the Georgian grandeur magnificent. Still, I found it all quite poignant and sad.  
          Their Graces formed an unhappy partnership. It was, nevertheless, an interesting tale and remarkable to watch His Grace living in the splendour of his ducal residences along with his Duchess, Georgiana, and their close friend Lady Elizabeth - ultimately to become the Duke's second wife.
          Intriguingly, Lady Elizabeth was the daughter of the Earl-Bishop of Derry, one of whose residences was Downhill Castle in County Londonderry.

My rating for the The Duchess was three stars. The acting was competent enough; Keira Knightly ravishing, as usual.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I think I told you I had the greatest of pleasure when I lived at 2 Laura Place in Bath, this was the said Duchess of Devonshire's town house when she was sent to Bath out of temptations reach!. Whilst in the attic The man, Roy, who owned the said house (now sadly some parts divided into flats, but not all!)and myself found letters from her and to her, we had the most glorious tea and meeting with Debo Mitford at Chatsworth House when we gave the letters to the estate, of course the right place for them... some were quite racey! but what a wonderful memory x Lady J.