Monday 26 November 2012

Lobster Pot Appeal

I HAVE RECEIVED AN APPEAL FOR INFORMATION AND OLD PHOTOGRAPHS RELATING TO THE LOBSTER POT (LP) BAR AND RESTAURANT, STRANGFORD, COUNTY DOWN.

THE PERIOD WOULD BE FROM THE LP's ESTABLISHMENT IN THE 1960s UNTIL THE EARLY 1990s, PRIOR TO MAJOR STRUCTURAL ALTERATIONS BY SUBSEQUENT OWNERS.


I have read with much interest your commentary on the old LP. My first visit to the LP was in or around 1974. My father (a publican) had sold some items from an old pub he owned in Belfast to another publican.

The purchaser was the owner of the LP; probably at that time Seamus McMorrow. Some weeks later my father bundled us into his Austin 1800 and we headed to Strangford to enjoy a Sunday lunch. It was the first of many visits.

For the next thirty years members of my extended family made many visits. During my frequent summer holidays in Cloughy I would travel with friends to Strangford (packed in like sardines in an old VW Beetle) to indulge in a generous portion of battered scampi.The memories run deep.

Since then I am reliably informed the bar has stayed open two days a week to protect the license. No food is served.

Travelling in Strangford's general direction last month I decided to take a detour. I found the Pot in a sorry state.

Reflecting on the past and finding a pair of rose tinted glasses in a drawer at home I decided to buy it. We expect to close the purchase during December. Having a daughter in the catering business who is keen to take on something new I thought what the heck it's only money. I think my father would be delighted.

Given the substantial renovations, the patina of the old Pot is long gone. Alas, the days of the crisp white table cloth, the inch thick A4 size menu and bulging wine cellar are to a large degree extinct (unless you are after a Michelin star). 

Casual dining using fresh local ingredients is the prevailing mantra.

We can't bring the old LP back but I like to think we can instil in those working in it some of the excellent qualities for which it was previously renowned. The aim is to provide good wholesome food, a friendly and courteous welcome, attention to detail and reasonable prices.

I hope over the next few months to reconstruct some of the Pot's history.

Anything you can provide in that regard would be appreciated. Perhaps you could send the message out to those you have had responses from asking for their memories. Perhaps they will have photos stashed away somewhere.

1 comment :

Timothy Belmont said...

Merely to start the ball rolling, this comment is from an acquaintance of mine, whose identity shall remain anonymous:

I haven't been in the Lobster Por since Seamus' day...he lived up the street so i had the use of the front room (over the bar) to keep some of my wardtobe...my shoregoing gear...cloak, dj etc and couple of my Peter McAllister bespoke tweed suits etc when i lived on my yacht "Perhaps". Duplicate McAllister gear and Town suits were kept with a girlfriend in Belfast .