Friday 21 February 2014

Goffs Manor

My cousin Peter and his family live near Goff's Manor, a 16th Century listed bar and restaurant located on the edge of Crawley, West Sussex.

It is one of Crawley's oldest buildings.

Originally called Goffs Park House (Goffs Hillhouse, as it was known), it was built in 1882 for the Sussex banker and landowner, Edwin Henty; though the original building dated back to the 16th century. 

My cousin and his family are fortunate to be within walking distance of this fine establishment.

The manor-house is notable as having been the residence of the actor, Peter Vaughan, who played the character 'Grouty' in the BBC comedy series, Porridge.

Goffs has an olde worlde ambiance, with carpeting, old wooden beams, tartan carpet in a section of the dining-room, and courteous waiting staff.

I stayed with Peter and Jenny several years ago.

We ambled over to Goff's and ordered a round of drinks when we were seated at our table.

My cousin and I ordered the Steak & Tanglefoot Pie (British Pie Awards 2010 Champion), Braised British steak & velvety gravy made with award winning Tanglefoot ale, served with buttered mash & vegetables.

Jenny had the skewered salmon with a medley of vegetables.

For pudding, Jenny and I had the creme brûlée; my cousin, the treacle tart.

The truth is that we all enjoyed it. My steak pie, in particular, was filling, tasty and lean.

I think we were all struggling by the time the pudding arrived and I felt full when I finished it.

All in all, a civilised spot in a fine setting beside Goffs Park.

1 comment :

Gossops Community Forum said...

Goffs Manor is the pub where you ate and was home to Peter Vaughan. However the later Goffs Park House (Hillhouse) built in 1882 for Horsham solicitor, Henty, is another building within the Park just to the North of the Manor.